The Ohio Housing Finance Agency (OHFA) offers several affordable loan options to help you achieve your dream of homeownership. OHFA offers 30-year, fixed-rate FHA, VA, USDA-RD and conventional mortgage loans with generous income and purchase price limits designed especially for homebuyers with low- and moderate-incomes.
If you are not a first-time homebuyer, learn more about OHFA's Next Home program.
How Do I Apply for an OHFA Program?
OHFA loans do not come directly from OHFA. We work with lenders, credit unions and mortgage companies across the state to offer loans to qualified borrowers. Find an OHFA-approved lender in your area, along with tips to help you with the application process, or call us toll-free at 888.362.6432.
Am I Eligible?
You may qualify for an OHFA first-time homebuyer program if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You have not had an ownership interest in your primary residence in the last three years.
- You are an honorably discharged veteran.
- You are purchasing a home in a target area.
Please view a complete list of eligibility criteria.
Which OHFA Loans are Right for Me?
Buyers can add one or more of the following options to an OHFA FHA, VA, USDA-RD or conventional mortgage loan:
Qualified buyers are required to complete free homebuyer education. OHFA's streamlined education program allows you to complete a course offered by any U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved counseling agency in Ohio. Please note, OHFA homebuyer education is not completed until after homebuyer has submitted their loan application with their loan officer. Homebuyer Education is not required for borrowers who are only registered for our MTC Basic program.
Free Homeowner Resources
Qualified buyers will be eligible to join Power of Home, a new program that provides free homeowner resources through the Framework® platform. New tools and resources will be available to help you manage, maintain and build equity in your home.
When you sign up, you will be able to:
- Explore homeowner resources to manage your home investment.
- Access an affordable loan for home repairs, improvement, and modifications from Huntington®.
- Meet your financial goals with free financial coaching and counseling services to reduce your debt and more from Apprisen.
- Search over 250 local home maintenance, energy assistance grant, and loan programs.
You'll also have the opportunity to test new features and participate in a research study with The Ohio State University when you complete the homebuyer education.